Saturday, 1 September 2012

Post-holiday style syndrome

Photo: Style Passport


I'm in that post-holiday transitional stage - you know the one where you're wearing what's left of your clean holiday clothes, with added layers. Well, that. In my head I look like the lovely model in this picture. In reality, I look like Julie Goodyear on Celebrity Big Brother. In less than 24-hours, I've gone from forest fire to freezing cold, and it's reflected in my wardrobe. Did you notice that after I championed the Birkenstock in my last post, up popped Sam Cam in a pair, in Mallorca? But readers, I have an admission... I've also been embracing the espadrille. If you can't be bothered to schlep to Spain, there's a great website called er, Espadrille where you'll find a decent selection of summer shoes. I like this pair of olive wedges and they'd look great with my imaginary outfit above.




I'm also hankering after a classic navy pair to go with jeans:



When I get dressed properly, I'm going to ditch the vest top and jersey harem pants and upgrade to an old, oversized J Crew shirt and jeans. Maybe it'll help me to recapture some of the laid-back holiday vibe, just like in this lovely photo.

Photo: Toast

Mr That's Not My Age is suffering from post-holiday style syndrome too. Though he's swiftly slipped back into jeans and t-shirt mode, he won't give up his summer holiday sandals. The Blog Widower is a big fan of the hybrid sandal/walking shoe thingy, which I've now renamed Cleggs after seeing this:

Photo: The Sun
 

I know. I've tried to shame him out of them, but he won't budge.  And who am I to deny a man his comfy shoes?



What are your tips for getting over post-holiday style syndrome?

16 comments:

Ellen Arnison said...

The Clegg is hardly ever a good look. Unless the wearer's feet are brown and weathered the effect is one of something peeled and naked. *Shudders*

Veshoevius said...

Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful holiday! I'm a big fan of espardrilles and love the fact that they come in every colour imaginable and are really comfortable. Plus they are usually so cheap in Spain so you can usually indulge in getting some in different colours!

déjà pseu said...

We're just starting our peak warm season here, so it happens every year, I'm all about the light layers that go from 90F outside to 65F in an overly air-conditioned office. And that are workplace appropriate. I do like those olive espadrilles, though. No to the Cleggs, which I've seen referred to here as "mandals."

mette said...

I understand you liking the dress + the espadrilles below them.
All one needs to make it perfect, is to have the right skin tone.
Having had no vacation for years, the post- syndrome is not known to me .

Looking Fab in your forties said...

I love that dress in the first picture, I'm off to Style Passport pronto! Still trying to wear my holiday clothes from 3 weeks ago as most things have only been worn once due to this dreaded summer. I put pj's and thick dressing gown on when I get really cold, so stylish.....

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Welcome back, just saw you mention in the fT! http://on.ft.com/RwJ0tE

Terri said...

I even wore my black espadrilles to teach a class this past week, talk about dragging summer around with me! Welcome back.

materfamilias said...

I always find this a tricky time as we're back in the classrooms next week & our building has NO air-conditioning, but does have a bank of windows facing the afternoon sun yet with no way to get a cross-draft in the classrooms. It's much tougher to get a professional look in summer clothes, yet I always do like to begin that first week looking somewhat authoritative. I'd love to hit a note like that top photo -- fabulous!

Applebypie said...

Just discovered your blog and am having a good rifle through your past posts - lovely reading! Am a new follower. XX Claire

Jean at www.drossintogold.com said...

Post holiday syndrome? Hmmm...this year it's cleaning out my closet and going on a trip to a colder climate. I'm forced to jump into the next season. I guess I'll go back to transitioning when I return. I just wish I had the dress and the suede espadrilles. I love them.

mette said...

P.S. So who´s the guy in the picture?

Semi Expat said...

Welcome back and hope you are not suffering from Sunday-itis too much this evening - first full week back at work etc. tomorrow? Sorry... Gorgeous dress in first photograph and am very partial to an Espadrille or two. X

Angele Style said...

My transition is nominal. Since I no longer can go with bare arms or legs I hardly notice the gradual change. Espadrilles look best on a bare leg and I like the idea of them with the dress you have pictured. It looks like a fun dress to try on and then if that worked I would probably wear boots with it. The man sandals are not good. At least he does not wear socks pulled up with them I hope. Here in Portland, Oregon most men wear the socks up and I asked a male co-worker why men did that and he said because the soccer players do it.

odysseyhome.com said...

"Post-holiday style syndrome"! :D
The only times I've ever had that: after I'd leave Miami and return to my little island. I'm not sure how to get over it. Time?
The olive dress in the Style Passport pic is a cool option - reminds me of a James Perse dress I had..

That's Not My Age said...

Applebypie - hello and welcome!

Mette - it's Nick Clegg, our deputy prime minister.

WendyB said...

"Cleggs"! Love it!