Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Double trouble



The other day, a surprising thing happened. That's Not My Age accidentally wore triple denim. Oh you can forget about doubling up, that's so last week. When it comes to denim, three is the magic number. A big fan of head-to-toe indigo back in the eighties - Levi's 501s, Lee denim jacket, Katharine Hamnett anything, all on a student budget, I might add - maybe I've been in denial about the Texan Tuxedo (love that term, thank you fab blogger, Wendy B) this season? Or perhaps I'm just a late adopter. But this time round I didn't actually intend to wear double denim. Well, not the way it appeared on the catwalk, anyhow.



It all happened by accident. In a complete rush to get dressed and out the door, with the bottom half of my outfit sorted - wide leg Levi's and another pair of mum shoes - one minute I'm debating the merits of the bootcut, the next I'm in flares! Twenty four hours is a long time in fashion. I had five minutes to find something to cover my top half and catch the train. That's Not My Age grabbed at an old denim shirt, decided it didn't look that bad and legged it with not a moment to spare. The slouchy denim bag I've been using all week came too. At the station, I looked down and wondered. But it was too late. I managed to brave it out all day, confident in the knowledge that at least I didn't look like this:



Mick Hucknall, 1988, 'I always wore what the fuck I wanted, sometimes it was mad and sometimes it was just ordinary.' You're not kidding.

So, I'd like to recommend double/triple denim to you all. I'll definitely be wearing it again. And now there's a new denim boutique at Net-a-Porter, I might even go quadruple.



Just remember:

1. Darker indigo shades are the chicer, more grown-up way to do double denim. Leave acid-wash to the kids, and Jeremy Clarkson.


2. Try mixing two different shades - a pair of grey jeans and a black denim shirt - it's double denim but not as we know it.
3. Keep it sleek. Avoid the baggy silhouette, if it doesn't look good on a catwalk model....



And now, I'll leave you with a couple of questions:

1. Triple denim - yes or no?
2. Mick Hucknall mad or just plain ordinary? Do you think he'll be wearing double denim when he's fronting The Faces this summer? Simply red faces all round, perhaps?



Photos
ChloƩ catwalk: style.com
Mick Hucknall photo and quote from Q magazine (February 1989)
Dark denim catwalk: Banana Republic

22 comments:

Georgina Langford (@georginal) said...

oh my word outrageous behaviour from That's not my age! I don't know how it is even possible to look good in double denim unless you are in a Toni and Guy advert, but you somehow managed to pull it off... I have seen the Texan Tux in a whole new light.

CATHERINE DANIEL said...

Double is bad, triple is worse - could never go there myself, but you have managed it really well! Now ... where is that denim jacket I haven't worn for six years ...

Alison Cross said...

Those jeans look fab on you! They've got a nice high waist - I covet them!!!

The shirt with the little ruffle front is also lovely.

I'm not sure about me in high waisted trews any more, my tits have dropped and are a lot closer to a high waistband than one might perhaps want....

I think your triple denim looks great on you!

Hubby has been working the double, triple and possibly even quadruple denim look since 1976 - yes, with DESERT BOOTS - so SJP is really just copying a middle-aged man in Scotland's fashion sense.

I think I might double denim tomorrow.... ;-)

Ali x

Make Do Style said...

Mick Hucknell plain old bonkers and a bit of a lech. Buys nice martinis though.

Triple is very challenging the paradigm (ref FF) and I have to say that M&S have some great mum shoes at mo. I'm seriously tempted by a footglove pair that are chloe-esque!

The outfit looks fab!

Vintage Vixen said...

You should have posted a warning on your blog today, a Mick Hucknall shot before breakfast? It's enough to put me off my Branflakes!
I do like a bit of denim and you've pulled the triple denim off marvellously. I'd probably end up looking more Shakin' Stevens than stylista!
Vix
xxx

Isabelle said...

Good work on the triple denim, I hope this escalates into blogger one upmanship till the blogosphere is doing double figure denim..

Just saw your comment on my wierd blogger blog! That's just a place to store all the stupid links my boyfriend sends me, the real one is here:

www.isabelleoc.co.uk

tiffany said...

Nup, can't do multiple denim myself, but I LOVE those Levis you're wearing - any chance you could say what style/number they are? You look great in that outfit, BTW.

enc said...

That Simply Red guy was spotted (by me) bicycling through our small town way back when I was in college . . . he wore denim then, too.

You look superb, TNMA; g'head, keep multiplying your denim!

WendyB said...

The Mick photo and quote is great and you look wonderful...I added you to my post:

http://tinyurl.com/33ph3yg

That's Not My Age said...

Thank you all - and I like Isabelle's idea of denim one-upmanship come on bloggers let's see how far we can go!

Tiffany - I've had the jeans about 3-4 years (bought them in NYC) and I love them! I'm not sure if you can still buy them, they're Levi's Capital E, super-hi wide. Good luck & let me know if you find a pair.

Fashion Butter said...

Can dig double - triple, we'll see. Love your top!

Fashionistable said...

Love it very funny. It was great to see you unexpectedly yesterday. Xxxx

tiffany said...

Thanks for that! Going to NYC in November, so may take a look then ...

00o00 said...

helloo! nice to meet you on wednesday! and what an inventive blog title!

wednesday was great fun, hope to see you guys soon :)

cheers

joe

Anastasia and Duck said...

You just need some denim shoes to push those boundaries even further...

xx
Duck

Last Style of Defense said...

Very good blog! I will pass onto my mum xxx

WeShop said...

Triple denim? I'd have to say no I'm afraid - 2 items max! (Although you look great in the pic.) That Mick pic is just terrifying.

So, I celebrated my 39th birthday last week and (in typical mid-life crisis stylee) have declared the run up to the big 4-0 'the year of living fashionably'.

Anything I see that I love at first sight, I'm buying - no questions asked (as long as I'm not getting myself into debt). But certainly no mutton/lamb interrogation. A year of fun with fashion and then I'll ask the big questions about age/figure appropriateness.

Do you think I'm setting myself up to make a complete a**e of myself or should I go for it?

xx
http://www.weshopthereforeweare.co.uk/

That's Not My Age said...

Tiffany _ I'm going to do some research to see if I can find a similar style, I'll get back to you.

Duck - fantastic idea. Quadruple denim here I come!

WeShop- I think you should go for 'the year of living fashionably.' And don't stop when you get to the big 4-0. Have fun with fashion, whatever your age. Just be very selective about where you shop.

That's Not My Age said...

Tiffany _ I'm going to do some research to see if I can find a similar style, I'll get back to you.

Duck - fantastic idea. Quadruple denim here I come!

WeShop- I think you should go for 'the year of living fashionably.' And don't stop when you get to the big 4-0. Have fun with fashion, whatever your age. Just be very selective about where you shop.

walsha said...

The shortest answer is doing. ............................................................

Semi Expat said...

You're looking great in your triple denim TNMA .... not sure about Mick though and yes, have also heard from someone who met him that he's def.a little bit of a lech! x

Madame DeFarge said...

I can't even cope with double denim. I once wore jeans and a checked shirt and thoughtlessly wore a denim jacket too. I looked like an outtake from Oklahoma.